background

Monday, February 7, 2011

Priorities, Hobbies, and Love

So many things that I want to talk about!  Let's see if I can do this eloquently!
Over the last few weeks I have really spent time thinking and praying about my time in the Word.  I hate to admit this, but it has always been a struggle to get into the Word!  Where do you start?  And how do you sit down and figure out what He is trying to say!  Sometimes I read, and its almost as if I'm reading a foreign language!
I envy my husband.  He sits down with his bible, and one or two other versions along with his concordance and his iPhone so he can google if necessary!  He reads the Word with such diligence...  I envy him.  I know I shouldn't though!  I continue to pray for a hunger to learn His Word!
This year I have decided to read the Bible, beginning to end.  I have started, and must admit, I am not going at the pace I need to.  However, now that I know He has called me to the mission field, I have decided to also read the New Testament.   I want to study Matthew, I crave a relationship with my Heavenly Father!
The last several weeks, Pastor Will has been going over a series called TIME, he talked about our time here on earth and what we are doing with it.  Then Pastor Brian this week spoke about Trust, but what I took from his message was this: My time is not being used wisely!  Brian didn't tell me this, I know this.  I find myself coming home from work and vegging out in front of the TV.  I think to myself, I don't know how people find so much time to study the Word!  But, after this weekend I know, there is plenty of time, I am just choosing to waste it!  So my goal now is, when I get the urge to watch TV at night, I am going to open my Bible.  Because, if I really crave a relationship with my God, I will spend time with Him!  I will get to know Him intimately!  I want to know everything I can about my God, and I want to share my knowledge with the lost!
Yesterday I did a photo shoot of one of my favorite subjects, a little girl full of life, prancing around in her pettiskirt and holding a bouquet of purple balloons!  I want the care free innocence of a child!  She loves her mom and dad, she loves the Lord and she loves me!  Awe to be a child again, and have the faith they have, you don't think about the details that encompass God, you just trust in Him.  I love capturing this innocence, however this is something in my life that has been consuming my time.
Most of you know of my love for photography.  When I first started doing it as a part time job, I dove in head first!  My free time was consumed by picture taking and editing.  To the point that I was missing out on my family, and my relationship with God was taking a back seat.  I have finally come to the realization that I need to slow down.  I know! Me! Slow down!  Not in the vocab!  But, I will have to try!  I still LOVE photography and do not plan on quitting, but I have slowed down quite a bit.  I can't wait to take some beautiful pictures of the Kenyan people.  I am taking my camera, with my small lens, because I want you all to see a part of what we see while there.  I love Photojournalism, and I will be in my element!  I hope to capture the essence of Christ in these children's eyes!  I am so looking forward to this!  This love for photography is God given and I need to use it for His glory!
So now you know my two "vices":)  I love watching TV and Photography, two things that are not bad in and of themselves, but have a priority in my life that I do not want them to have.  I am making the choice to change this!
One last thing, I just have to say how much I love my husband.  He is so supportive through this whole thing, and has been instrumental in bringing my relationship with Christ closer.   His faith is amazing to watch and I am so blessed to have him in my life.  Valentines day is right around the corner, I cannot wait to spend it with him.  I am so thankful that I have a Heavenly marriage.  I never thought I would have this, especially with our past, but God is good to turn the dark to light!  I love the way the Lord has changed our lives!

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, you are a beautiful person on the inside as well as outwardly. By putting time aside to study and read the Bible, you will grow to "thirst" for it. It is the same as when you drink a lot of water, you WANT a lot of water, you thirst for it. But before you started drinking a lot of water you never realized you wanted or needed it! So by realizing the NEED to do this study, you have taken the hardest and first step. The rest will come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bev! Yes I totally get that! I started reading earlier and had to MAKE myself put it down so I could get the girls ready for bed!

    ReplyDelete