background

Friday, July 8, 2011

We made it!!

Wednesday night started our journey, we car pooled to Houston to stay at Elyse's parents house for the night. They were so awesome and had fajitas ready for us when we got there! I'm sure most of you saw the pictures of us going thru all of our bags. We took everything out and rearranged so we could fit it all and be 50lbs or less! It was done quickly and we were so excited! 29 bags total!! 17 of which were just ministry bags! Thank you guys all so much for donating these items!! And I have to thank CTOMA, they donated 150lbs of medical supplies! God has been so good!
After that we all crashed, a little hard to fall asleep at first when I knew I would be heading out for the airport at 6:30am the next morning! The only other plane I had been on was to and from South Carolina, 16 seater!
5am came and I woke right up! Had my morning coffee, called Chris, who was such a wonderful husband to pray over me:) We got all of our luggage lined up, and then the shuttle Elyse's parents had gotten for us came and we loaded up!!
We made it to Bush Airport a little before 8am and lined up to check in.
Then came the first bump in the road. Jenny had called several times to make sure of how much luggage we could bring. Well it turns out they changed the policy a week or so before we booked our flights, so instead of getting 2 bags free we only got 1! We had to pay for the rest of them which stunk! At first I was mad, and kept thinking gosh what a waste of money! But then I reminded myself that it wasn't a waste of money, we were bringing over much needed supplies for the clinic, and toys and candy and shirts for the kids at Mbewau! I started to just be thankful for the fact that the Lord provided that extra money so we were able to bring them!
We got that done and got on the first flight, 2 hrs to Miami. We got there and had a longer layover so we got to just chill, eat and fellowship.
Next was Miami to London, 8 1/2 hrs long!! I caught up on all the movies I missed! LOL! Then I slept a few hours.
We got off at London and booked it to catch our connecting flight, there was not a long layover here at all! We got there got all checked in and then found out that the flight from London to Nairobi was delayed! Our flight had been scheduled for 10:20, they said it was then delayed till 12. So...we waited. Finally 12 rolled around and we started to board. As we walked onto the plane the temp in the plane was literally 90 degrees!! I thought I would suffocate!! Another hour went by as we are all just sitting waiting on the plane in the heat! Finally at 2 the AC started working, but it was still another hour before we actually took off on another 8 hr flight! I slept the 2 hrs we were sitting there, and then took a few naps here and there, but this was the flight I was supposed to stay awake for.
While on this flight, we were all scattered on this huge plane. I was sitting next to a little 2 year old named Whitney and her mother who was pregnant. She reminded me of Kennedy, so it was a little bittersweet. I played with her while her mother slept, I let her play with my "Talking Tom" app (I held the phone, don't worry Chris:), I held her some let her draw me a picture. It was nice to get to play with her:) She was an adorable little African version of Kennedy!
We finally landed in Nairobi and the whole plane applauded!! We got out and had to pay for our Visa's and were wondering whether we would even be able to get on our connecting flight to Mombasa. As we were paying for our Visa's an attendant came up and told us not to get our luggage, that it wouldn't fit on the flight and we would get it in the morning...ugh!!
But on the bright side, they had held our flight for us!! I'm sure we made some people mad, but we were so glad to not have to sleep in the Nairobi airport!! We got on the plane, and this time it was only a 40min flight! When they said we were decending I could hardly believe it! I felt like we had just taken off!
Anyway, Chris and Lisa met us there, we all got to our host homes safely and now...BEDTIME!! It is 5am and we are exhausted!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment