background

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 1

We slept in until 2pm today, which was amazing since we had been traveling for 38hrs with little sleep and it was 5am here when we finally got to a bed!
I woke up to a very quiet house with the windows open and a wonderful breeze flowing thru them! I hadn't really had a chance to look around the night before since it was very dark, and..well I had been exhausted! I looked out the window and it was beautiful!! It was green with bursts of colors from Hibiscus and other beautiful flowers!


The house itself is awesome! Shutters on each window, it is like a beach house. I then heard a squawking noise and realized, they have a bird!


The Windell's three daughters were up and playing with the bird, so we got to visit with them a bit. They have lived here for 9 years! They are 18, 13, and 12.
I then was offered some yogurt, which I love:) It was so good!


A different texture than our yogurt, thinner, but good! As I took my yogurt to the living room to sit down, I walked past the front window, outside was a tire swing:) Well the girls from our team that stayed here and I decided to go explore the yard. It was even more beautiful once we went outside, and the temp was perfect!
The girls and I decided to have a little fun and swing (it took a little coaxing to get me to participate, but I did!! Brought back childhood memories!).






It was good to just chill and have some fun, for we know this week is going to be hard work and we can't wait!
Around 6pm is when the bags finally arrived!!! We got our own bags out and took them inside and were able to FINALLY get a shower!! I was funnnnkaaayy!! LOL!!
Showers here are much different than the ones we have. Water pressure doesn't exist! We take for granted the every day things that we think are necessities, such as a shower head that has good pressure, hot water, and electricity!! The water felt good it wasn't too cold but definitely wasn't warm, and I was gross so I didn't care, I would've bathed in Ice at this point!
Once we were done getting dressed, we headed to Chris and Lisa's house. That itself was an adventure!! The Kenyan streets are not pretty! And the Kenyan's themselves think that you either have great brakes or will just drive around them....all of them!! They walk all over the street in dark clothes, they drive motorcycles and just swoop in and out of traffic! And that wasn't even a very busy street! Lol!
When we got to Chris and Lisa's we had to go thru a guarded gate first and then had to go thru another gate to their driveway. They live in a beautiful home with a pool out front!


The Moore's and the Windell's had so graciously made us food and it was soooooo good!! We ate and fellowshipped and it was wonderful!
I finally got to really talk to Chris and Lisa, I had skyped with them and emailed etc but now I was face to face with this awesome couple! I felt at home.
As the night got later we went thru our ministry bags, Lisa helped us separate what she wanted to take to the clinic and school tomorrow and what needed to be stored there for later.

We got it all organized and gathered around for our first team meeting.
We are going to be doing some amazing things the next two weeks and I cannot wait to see the way the Lord MOVEs in all of our lives! (If you haven't been keeping up with Imani, MOVE stands for: Motivate others, seek Opportunity for change, use your Voice for the Lord, and Experience God's grace!)
Hope you are enjoying keeping up with the trip!!
Night y'all!!!

Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Rachel,
    Hope you are doing well and accomplishing all your goals. We are thinking about you look forwarded to hearing more.
    Love,
    Granny

    ReplyDelete