background

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The journey begins...July 12, 2013

I kept a journal, purely with the intention of writing this blog, so it will be written as if I am there:)

Our journey started at 2pm on July 10th in BCS.  We loaded up 11 suitcases, 22 ministry boxes full of goodies, 11 carry ons, random purses and 13 people!
Our team consists of 11 members, and we had 2 excellent drivers for the 2 vehicles we needed to take.
One of the drivers was my sweet husband!  I was so excited for Chris to be driving.  To get to spend that extra few hours with him was so nice!
I miss him so much already, and my girls.  That is the hardest part of my trips...leaving them behind.
I feel like the Lord is telling me not to without him again though, which is fabulous since we just started our own business and he can!
I would love to go as a family...but we will see what God's will is!

We arrived at the Houston Airport, got checked in & boarded without incidence.
The flight was easy and went by faster than normal (I felt like!).
I watched a couple of movies while on board which made it easier.
We arrived at Heathrow (London) at 11:25am, and got thru rather quickly!
Shannon's sister Amy met us, helped us get our tickets to the Tube (the London subway) and we made our way to Pickadilly Circus!
It took about an hour, then we purchased tour bus tickets, ate food & hopped on "The Big Bus" and took the red route!
It was amazing to see the beautiful architecture, the history that abounded in every turn.  I would love to live in London.
At 6pm we headed back to the airport and boarded our flight.
This flight felt longer & more uncomfortable.  Mainly because I couldn't sleep well.  However, we arrived early & safely!
The Entebbe airport was also easy to get thru & we got out of there with all of our luggage intact in record time!  Even Kari was amazed!!
It was so good to see Kari!  And Karson, was has grown so much, and sweet Hadlee!!!

We still had to pick Megan up at 1pm & because of a mix up with the vehicles (last minute our coaster/bus reservation was cancelled due to the festival that was in town).  We waited at a local cafe, ate breakfast, drank coffee and napped!  Where in the states can you just hang out at a cafe and take a nap on their couches!!

Megan arrived on time & we headed to Jinja at 2:30pm.  Kari has some mad driving skilz!!
She got us home in one piece;)
It was awesome to see Apio & Tom greet us!  They are so sweet!
Then came Pierce and Everett!!  They are getting so big!!! I love their sweet hugs!

Apio cooked us all a traditional Ugandan meal & it was fabulous!!!

Jason then went thru orientation with the team & we packed up & headed to our Guest House.
I am so exhausted, I am only spending time in my journal, bible & prayer...no shower!
Goodnight!!

PS, Our room is great!  It's small but I am roomates with Tressie & Pam!  Our bathroom locks from the outside, so you have to have someone lock you in, but it works!
(update: we rigged a sports bra to connect to the towell bar and hook on to the handle so we didn't have to have someone lock us in! lol!)

Stay tuned for more tomorrow!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice McGyvering! lol. Sooo, is it weird that I've totally napped SEVERAL time on Sweet Eugene couches? haha!

    ReplyDelete