background

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Taking things for granted

Today I shared with my daughter Reagan that I would be going to Africa for 2 weeks in the summer.  Needless to say there were tears! I had to explain to her what a missionary does and why and how this is a good thing, it is in obedience to God.  She calmed down after a bit and I think by July she will be excited.  She is already so faithful even though she is so young!  She speaks of Christ often and loves to read her bible.  I am very blessed to have children with a heart for God!
I seem to be noticing the little things lately as I learn more and more about the needs in Africa.  Yesterday Reagan got upset because she was given animal crackers in her lunch and she apparently isn't fond of animal crackers, and then today she got upset because I gave her a pop tart with no icing on it! I began thinking about the children in Africa who are lucky to get one measly meal a day and nothing as tasty as a pop tart..with or without icing!  I began explaining to Reagan about these children, some who die because they don't have enough food to sustain their little bodies.  I'm hoping that is a lesson we all learn through this.  We are so blessed and take it all for granted! So that was the beginning of my day.

Then I got to work and got a phone call from Kari (my friend I mentioned yesterday who just got back from Uganda), she was telling me about another mission trip that is going back to Uganda the first week in March and how her heart longs to be there!  They have decided to become full time missionaries, it is just a matter of God's timing to raise the money and have supporters to live there full time with all of their children.  I have to say I am so excited for them!! They love a specific Ministry called Caanon and she wants to be there with the children so badly!  They have emailed the pastor over that mission and they heard back today!  The Pastor is so excited to talk to them about the possibility of them coming full time!  What a blessing!!!  It is so amazing to see Christ moving in their lives!  She had called at first just to tell me about that trip, well then she called back a bit later to tell me she had received the email from the Pastor and that now it makes sense for one of them (her or her husband) to go on the March trip to talk logistics with the Pastor!! Wow! He really does know the desires of our hearts people! So please keep Kari and her family in your prayers and they begin to walk in obedience to the Lord's calling in their life!

After lunch, I get back and Jenny is here.  I begin talking to her about the trip.  We begin talking about so many things involved!  I am soo excited!  She showed me pictures of Chris and Lisa who are the founders of the organization and a video of some of the kids from the school they started, so cute!  The Organization is called Real 4 Christ, they are only about 3 years old.  If you want more information you can visit their website at www.real4christ.com.
Jenny was the first missionary they had come visit them, she helped get them set up, so this organization holds a special place in her heart.  She started telling me a little about Chris and Lisa, and then told me that she is really worried because today she found out that Chris is in the hospital in Kenya with a kidney stone.  My first reaction was, "So what its just a kidney stone."  But she started telling me about the hospital and how awful it was and how they don't have to supplies needed to take care of the kidney stone!  On top of the kidney stone, he has a catheter that is apparently stuck right now!!  His options were to drive 8 hrs on horrible roads to go to a hospital that even comes close to ones we have here, or wait for a shipment of the supplies needed which could be WEEKS!! What an eye opener that is!! We take for granted that we can go to the store and get a bottle of Tylenol, we complain about the price of it in fact!  When in Africa simple medical supplies just aren't there!  Please keep Chris and Lisa in your prayers as they go through this.  Jenny says their emails are so upbeat like its no big deal because their faith in the Lord is so big, but she is worried because she has seen first hand the condition of the hospital he is in. So prayers for them are greatly appreciated!
 And continued prayers for me, my family and the whole team going!

No comments:

Post a Comment